Monday, September 21, 2009

"you can leave"

I will go talk to him about it in a minute, but Jacob's friend just upset him. . .in some way. I'm not really sure how. Instead of tattling to me about it, or arguing extensively with the friend, he told him, "You can leave," and walked to his room and shut the door. Maybe I should be frustrated with the way it went down, and perhaps encourage my son to talk it out with the friend, but - - it was clear from 1) the friend's initial defensiveness about the charges, 2) my son's tone of voice, and 3) the friend's immediate acceptance of the invitation to leave rather than to stay and hash it out that tells me that the friend was totally in the blame for the problem. So - I'm proud of Jacob for saying "You can leave." Sometimes that's best.

1 comment:

Momma Twitch said...

That's a good way to do it. It's crazy how grown up he's getting.